* Social icons for Blogger ----------------------------------------------- */

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Hump Day or Deep cleaning Day?

Today is Wednesday, Hump Day. I am looking at the time and I guess you could say I have almost made it over the hump. Hoorrrrrayyyyy! I really do not know why I am so excited I guess I feel as if I have accomplished something. Hump Day (Wednesday) is what we call "deep cleaning" day at the mission. Most of the girls here do not understand why we clean the way we do. At first, they will have to do things over and over. This is simply because they do not know how to do a job very well. I am sure it is frustrating to be told to re-sweep a floor or to remake your bed. We hear so many times, "I already made my bed" or "I swept that floor" or "I did the best I could do". The reason we ask them to do it again is simply because they did not do a good job. We want them to learn to do it well. In their past life everything was about "get it done and out of the way" or "why even do it at all"? There was no thought about doing a job much less doing it well.

Scripture tells us that, "In everything we do, do it as unto the Lord". Everything, you say, even cleaning house? Yes, that means even cleaning house. We want to think or hope that we are disqualified from this because we only do the "little things". We have a way of classifying BIG things as those we think we will never be doing. Things like saving the world, solving world hunger, parting the Red Sea. It could never mean doing dishes, making a bed, sweeping a floor or cooking a meal. We are just supposed to get those things done (whatever). The Word does not say in the big things or in the little things it says in everything and that means EVERYTHING!

Drug addiction is a selfish world. You live from day to day pursuing your high. You will work at it diligently and selfishly. You do not stop pursuing because someone said no. You do not care if you have to do something again and again, you do it. If an addict could just see the work it takes to support an addiction they would realize anything is possible. Of course, our enemy, Satan, does not want us to be aware of all this, so he makes the everyday life seem boring and monotonous. He (satan) wants us to believe that the "everythings" in life do not include "menial" tasks such as house cleaning. Yet, the word says, "In everything we do, do it as unto the Lord". It takes several weeks before the girls here begin to realize, it is not just about "deep cleaning" the mission, it is about "deep cleaning" their lives. So, when it comes to "hump" day being "deep cleaning" day, it is still "another" day we get to serve the Lord in "everything" we do.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am so glad that I found you through a comment you left on my blog. I can't wait to spend more time looking at your posts. What a blessing you are. Thanks for the sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit. God's blessings on your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there before and although I may not have liked some of the cleaning and getting up early and stuff it's all a part of life and they really helped change mine. I was only there for 3 months, but I needed that 3 months and God sent me there for a reason. I really appreciate all your guys help and support you've shown me. I may still be a punk - but I'm Jesus' punk.
    A. Ritchie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by The Foothills Farmhouse...Your comments are greatly appreciated. Blessings!